Friday 22 February 2013

Black Friday - Broken

Hey there. Today is a rather heavy theme. For week 4 of Section 1 Back to basic contest, Joan from Tip Top South Africa has requested participants to wear black nails on all fingers except an accent for the ring finger. This is to create an awareness and to stand up against violence and rape done to women. There are so many victims already. We don't need more. Enough is enough.


Week 4 - Black Friday 'The Perfect Manicure' with accent design.
Description: Rock the perfect black manicure with an accent ring finger design. 

My concept for the ring finger design is really simple. I wanted to depict the sorrow and pain women felt every time wrong is being done to them because rape and violence is no joke. The shattering of the heart shows the brokenness of the soul. The black lines shows the victims feeling trapped and oppressed by fear inflicted by the offender. The splatters represents the afflictions (physical and emotional) of the victims. Truth is, my depictions are only the surface. Only the Lord knows how much deeper the wounds of the wounded victims are. 

Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken
Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken

I have used quite a number of techniques to achieve the final look for the ring finger. Among them were cling wrap technique, dotting and splatter. 

Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken
Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken

I started off with two thin coats of Tip Top French Manicure White as a base colour. Then using the cling wrap method, I did a quick coat of thin black layer and cling wrap it. Followed by another thin coat of white. Then I used the cling wrap and dab a little of silver onto the nail. Using a stripper brush, I drew thin sharp lines in almost square shape to give a certain trapped feeling.  

Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken
Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken

With the aid of the striper brush, I dot on small dots and forming them into a 3 quarter heart shape. Varied the sizes of the dots below the heart to give a feel of shattering heart. As for the splatter effects, I first used the brush splatter technique. But the splatters were too random and rather light as I need to thinned out the black in order for the brush splatter technique to take place. So, I cheat a little and used cling wrap for a controlled splatter effect. Lol! 

Lacqueerisa: Black Friday - Broken (polishes and tools used)

List of polishes and tools used from left to right :
  • Essence - Can't cheat on me
  • Holika Holika - Black Polish (12)
  • Tip Top South Africa - Tip Top French Manicure White
  • Cling wrap
  • DIY Stripper Brush
This manicure has left me really sad thinking about all those afflictions those victims of rape and violence has suffered. May the Lord comforts and aid those whose souls are in pain. 




8 comments:

  1. I love your manicure, there's a lot of work going on that ring finger. And the result is beautiful.

    The cause is honorable, and I wish I had the time to join. No words can tell how I feel inside regarding this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. and I totally agree the cause is honorable and you do have some extra time. Moderators of Tip Top South Africa has gone on a short business trip, and only will be back on Monday. So, everyone has a little more time till Monday to participate. (South African time).

      Delete
  2. It would be very good if women all over the World saw broken harts and pain just on their own nails! And especially in such a beautiful relization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ana! I can't agree more with you! If only such were the case... :'(

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed with the thought and details you've placed into this mani hun, its very well done :) What a great cause to create awareness for, kudos to you and Tip Top South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this is for a cause. I didn't want to just have a "pretty mani". Honestly, I'm not sure how much impact this awareness does. In optimism, to a better future - for the women!

      Delete
  4. Great mani for a great cause! <3

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments and appreciates each and every one of it, but please do not post comments that are irrelevant to content of post. I will not hesitate to delete/remove comments that I deem as spams. Thank you!